Jiu-jitsu started many years ago in India at the time of Buddhist monks. Buddhists travelers were regularly looted and to avoid this, they invented a form of defense from which jiu-jitsu was born. The word Jiu-jiu means soft art and has three basic principles: the technique, the lever and the base. After India, Jiu-jitsu travelled to China and then to Japan.
Mitsuyo Maeda, known as “Count Koma”, was a great practitioner of Judo and Jiu Jitsu in its early days. After traveling several countries with his group, he arrived in Brazil in 1914, as part of an excursion of Japanese fighters that arrived in Manaus to begin the mission led by Maeda to disseminate judo in Brazil.
Sanshiro “Black Belly” Satake stayed in Manaus and opened the first Brazilian judo academy. Maeda went to Belém do Pará, where he settled, and where the Conde Koma academy still exists. A year later, he met Gastão Gracie. Gastão was the father of eight children, five men, and he took his son Carlos Gracie to learn the Japanese fight.
Gracies learned Jiu-Jitsu with Mitsuyo Maeda and in 1925 moved to Rio de Janeiro to set up the first Brazilian jiu-jitsu academy, whose address was Rua Marques de Abrantes in Flamengo and since then, Jui-Jitsu has been greatly improved by the Gracie family.